Operation Sandbox

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving came and went this week. They made sure to feed us well around here. The DIFAC (Dinning Facility), in-fact all three of them, put on quite a celebration. For those of you familiar with banquets that SDA academies and colleges put on, I would liken it to a Thanksgiving Banquet. I attended the one at my favorite DIFAC. The entire place was decorated from floor to ceiling. All decked out with thanksgiving colors of brown and orange. The tables all that nice table clothes and were covered with thanksgiving paraphernalia. And the food was great. Not only did that have all the fixin’s of a traditional thanksgiving dinner. But they also had rib-eye steaks, several varieties of chicken. This DIFAC serves an area largely housing units from Louisiana. So they had an extensive array of Cajun dishes. Most of them looked delicious, however being either shrimp or pork all I could was admire them and savor the aroma. The selection and variety truly was incredible. They had football going on brand new flat screen televisions set up around the building. They really did a good job at putting on quite the festival. Before the meal kicked of they had a number of neat things outside. They had Indian teepees set up, people walking around in costumed as Indians, pilgrims and even a turkey. They also built a Mayflower ship that sat in the middle of the courtyard. A small plaque on the side served to educate the curious on the history of the Mayflower. The ship was used as a platform for the General to give a thanksgiving address and for the chaplain to offer a thanksgiving prayer. Off to the side of the courtyard they had a pen surrounded with chicken wire. And inside they at four turkeys huddling together and being chased about by costumed Indians. It was a lot of fun. I took some pictures so I’m hoping to get those developed and make those available on this site. Of course no matter what the military puts on nothing can substitute a thanksgiving in a simple home surrounded be family with a home cooked thanksgiving dinner. I guess that’s apart of the sacrifice.

Well it’s true an SDA chaplain has arrived. I have not yet been able to hook up with him yet. And I learned at 11 am, that he was conducting an SDA service today at 10 am. But now I have his contact information and I’m going to look him as soon as I finish here. I am eager to talk with him and get involved in whatever activities he might be arranging.

I got to call a few of you on Thanksgiving Day, well it was still Wednesday in the states but here it was Thursday. It’s been months since most of us talked so that was a nice blessing. I even called CLC to send a happy thanksgiving their way. And don’t wait for me to call you, I sent out my phone number in an email a few months ago. Don’t be afraid to use it.

This week the climate continued it’s downward spiral in temperature. Most nights you can’t even walk to the bathroom without putting on a sweater or something. And in the mornings everyone is bundled up with long underwear, winter jackets, thick fleece overcoats, gloves and everything else to keep warm. So winter is moving in for us too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home