Operation Sandbox

Saturday, November 13, 2004

65 F buuurrr....Time to dig out the winter coat.

This morning was typical of the recent climate we’ve been experiencing. You see it was down right cold. I almost went so far as to put on my snivel gear (army equivalent of thick long underwear). I was almost shivering, even though I was fully dressed down in my uniform with pants and long-sleeves. I don’t know how much more I can take of these 60 F temperatures. I’m going to have to start wearing my winter coat out there in the mornings. I checked weather.com and the temperatures were between 59 and 60 F. Talk about brutal. You may laugh….I know you in fact cause I also checked the temperatures for the same time frame in the Midwest was about 32 F with a real feel of 28 F. So 65 F might not seem cold to you, but I’m digging that gore-tex coat out.

Our main division here on the post is on their way out the door. The First Cavalry Infantry division is rotating out. Units come and go, but a whole division rotating that’s a lot of people. Some of the effects are becoming evident around here. See since there’s the biggest thing on this post, they’re the big fish in this pond. And they pretty much set policy and so on around here. Anyway the bolts have really been getting tight around here with a stricter approach to the rules. For example for a few days this past week we were on a heightened alert. So we had to wear our full battle rattle uniform everywhere including body armor and helmet. Then when exercise time rolled, we were allowed to go down to the gym in our PT uniform as long as we were wearing our armored vests and helmet. And a new policy was made that PTs weren’t allowed, we had to wear our regular uniform to the gym and change there. And at the gym there aren’t any locker rooms or anywhere to store your things you just lay in somewhere along the wall. That whole thing just added so many steps to my already tight morning routine. That’s just one example of some of the changes around here.

Today I went to a new Lutheran service that’s started up on Saturday mornings. Since there are no SDA services available I thought it might be a nice thing to look into. This in fact was the very first one to be held. It’s not even on the schedules yet that are posted around post. But I drop by the division chaplain quite often and he knowing of my interest in a Saturday service made me aware of it. I guess the word hadn’t gotten out yet so it was just the Chaplain, the Chaplain’s Assistant and I. But you know where two or more are gathered right. The service was slated to begin at 9am. It’s just across the street from the dining facility so I ate a late breakfast and waltzed over about 8:40. The chaplain and I chatted then jumped into out worship session. I really did enjoy it. And I plan to keep going. That is except if the rumor is true. I’ve heard a rumor, from the head chaplain in our area that an SDA chaplain will be arriving next week sometime. So if that’s true I’ll attend whatever services he starts up. And I’d be interested in joining his ministry team. That could be very rewarding.

If it were possible the amount of work down at the motor pool has gotten even slimmer. That’s incredible since I thought I had nothing to do before. Sure we are doing projects here and there of emptying storage trailers and reorganizing things. But you get everyone on something like that and it’s down with in a few hours then you have the rest of the day. Everyone is starting to get to the point where they just want this whole thing to be over with and get back to their normal lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home