Operation Sandbox

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Long Distance Convoy

I was listening to the BBC the other day and was startled to hear my Camp mentioned by name in the news by the BBC. I heard the same story on CNN however they didn't mention the name of my camp by name. I have to admit that it's not in reference to anything all that noble. But apparently the State Department lost a diplomat in a mortar attack. That's kind of surprising in a way but not surprising in another way. Cause we get mortored quite frequently. But they rarely actually hit anything. But I guess they got someone this time. Here is the story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3948929.stm. As for me I trust God is protecting me and that He has a plan for my life that He plans to keep me around for. So I don't let these things worry me or bother me. A very fitting scripture comes to mind when I here the explosions of mortors or when the building rocks from a nearby vehicle born bomb going off it comes from Psalms.

Psalms 91 4-9 NKJV
He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day, Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side,And ten thousand at your right hand;But it shall not come near you. Only with your eyes shall you look, And see the reward of the wicked. Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place.

Most of our convoys are local ones. We run to Abu Graib Prision or to the Green Zone or somewhere close like that. But yesturday we did a 75 mile run down to a town called Scania. It took us about 2 hrs to get there. And let me tell you there is absolutely nothing to see in the countryside of Iraq. If you've ever driven through the Dakotas you have something of an idea of what is was like. Quite literally that's what the countryside looked like. This major highway is closed to civilian traffic for certain stretches so we were alone most of the time. Which is what we prefer. And at every underpass there was a group of Marins or Soldiers with fortified fighting positions making sure no troublemakers harmed passing US Military personal. At certain sections of the road there would be farmers crossing the highway with a herd of Sheep or cattle that was kind of wierd. Also at certain areas there would be groups of children on the side of the road they would run out to greet us and wave to us as we passed by. I'm not sure why they were hanging out on the shoulder of the expressway but they seemed eager to get a glimpse of us. We spent a couple of hours at Scania and did two promotions. Scania is quite a dump I must say. Their Dinning Facility, PX, living quarters and everything were all small and primative. But our personnel who work and live there seem to love it. Or that's at least what they say. On the way back we got stuck in a traffic jam just after we came in the gate. There was a whole line of Semi-trucks that we were at the end of and we were parked for close to two hours. So that was the first time I really went anywhere really far. I can safely say that I'm glad that I live here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home