Operation Sandbox

Monday, September 13, 2004

First Semi-Regular Day

Today was really my first day to experience a business as usual day. Last week I was the new guy and the routine was kind of flexible in relation to me. However, that time has past now. Today I stood at morning formation (figuratively) as a member of the team. For the most part I'm familar with everyone on the team. There are several members of the unit that work at other locations that I don't know. But as far as the crew for this camp, I've at least been introducted.

Yesturday was a very busy day for Iraqi Terrorists. Over 40 incidents involving explosives were purpitrated by these enemies of the Iraqi people. And that meant a lot of vehicles that were in need of work. So today we looked over the vehicles we had and accessed them. Including basic checks of fluids and oil and even cleaning the windows. Afterward our center's water supply need to be replenished so a few of us soldiers did a water run. It's kind of neat what the main water supply is held in. It's held in these big water bags called, "bladders." They look like really long hot water bottles and are as wide as buses. Once we were done it was about time for lunch. We normally eat lunch at a smaller dining facility. For some reason that one is the favorite of rest of the crew. I prefer the other one, it's more spacious and never has long lines. After lunch I had still had some inproccessing items to take care of such as getting a counceling session with members of the leadership team.

I needed a set of dog tags and the facility that makes those are on the other side of the camp. So my sponoring nco took me for a drive over there. It was my first time in that side of the camp. Apparently it's the sight of one of Saddam's palaces. There's a nice lake and tall grass and trees line the road. It's much nicer than the desert conditions we live in. The buildings are big and are of artful architecture. Recently I learned of Seventh-Day Adventist services in that part of the camp on Sabbath (Saturday) mornings so it was good that I was able to get acquainted with that side of the post.

I went over to the PX after dinner to look for a strap. This place has a lot of stuff except, it's like a walmart in there. But it seems it's missing the things I go looking for. This time I went looking for an extra strap for my rifle. I'd like to lenghten the strap by combining two, but they didn't carry it or ran out or something.

Today has been a great day weather wise. I guess the climate is starting to cool off. I came at a great time of the year. This morning when I woke up it was like 65 f. That's really cool around here. Don't get me wrong the noon sun got a bit warm but not as bad as it did in the past.

Tommorrow is a new day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home